Friday, July 25, 2014

You Scream, I Scream, We All Scream For Homemade Ice Cream


One of the best wedding presents that my husband and I ever received (in my opinion and my husband might agree) is our ice cream maker. While we were dating there was a phrase I heard quite a bit "My mother makes it from scratch". Now keep in mind that I don't have the normal mother-in-law, daughter-in-law relationship with my second mom. We get along fabulously and I couldn't ask for a better MIL! One of the many things she makes from scratch is ice cream. So when we registered for wedding gifts, we registered for an ice cream maker. I informed my husband that if he wanted me to make ice cream, I would need an ice cream maker.

Homemade ice cream usually happens every few months in our house. I'm sure whenever God expands our family ice cream will happen much more frequently. Now I haven't done the exact math but homemade ice cream is not only fairly cheap but DELICIOUS! I love how you can customize it both with what you put in and what you don't.

We have experimented with many different types of ice cream (chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry). My favorite so far is strawberry and today I'm sharing my recipe with you.


Cut and stem the strawberries (I have this nifty tool to remove the stems - makes it easy peasy!)


Now that they're stemmed, chop them up! I personally like smaller pieces because I'm not a huge fan of biting into huge frozen chunks of fruit.

After chopping up the strawberries, let them soak in the lemon juice and half a cup of sugar for 2 hours.


This is the strawberries after mixing in the lemon juice and sugar.

After soaking in the lemon juice and sugar. With all this wonderful strawberry juice, it will give all the ice cream strawberry flavor and a nice pink color. (Be sure to add all of the juice! Someone tried my recipe without the juice and it was like vanilla ice cream with strawberry chunks in it.)
In a separate bowl, combine the milk and the remaining sugar. The recipe says to use a hand mixer on low speed to combine everything but for some reason I've found that when I mix it by hand with a wooden spoon my ice cream come out creamier.

Continue to stir the milk and sugar until all of the sugar is dissolved.

Next add in the cream.

Add the vanilla (this is homemade vanilla from my friend T - everything is better homemade!)

And last but not least add in the strawberries and juice.



Put into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker for 25-30 minutes and then put into an airtight container and into the freezer.

Enjoy your homemade ice cream.
My guess is you'll love it so much you won't want to share! I sure don't ;)


Download your own pdf recipe card here

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment