Thursday, June 26, 2014

Knit Camera Lens Buddy

I have been waiting and SO excited to share this post with you! I always have a list of things that I want to knit for after I finish whatever I'm currently working on. I've been wanting to make a lens buddy for my good friend T for a long time but every pattern I can find is crocheted. While I've been trying to learn to crochet, I'm not the greatest at it. But I was determined to make this for T's birthday and I'm pleased to say that I made it work!

Here is my tutorial for a knit frog camera lens buddy:

To make your own you'll need:
Circular knitting needles (I used US size 7),
a hair band with no metal,
and green yarn (I used Sugar 'n Cream)
While I have a crochet hook pictured here I didn't need to use it.
To begin make a slipknot around the hair band
and insert the knitting needle into the loop.

Cast on including the hair band.
The key to casting on around the hair band is taking the yarn on the right (the tail) 
and pulling it trough the hair band before casting on each stitch.
This process makes the yarn encircle the hair band.
Here you can see how the yarn is wrapping around the hair band
and the tail is pulled through the band ready to cast on the next stitch.


Towards the end of casting on I had to move the stitches
towards the end of the needle,
moving the yarn further out to cast on and pull tight.
To make it easier to knit I had part of stitches on the needle
and part on the plastic of the circular needle.
Stretching the band during knitting was necessary
as I finished knitting the stitches on the left,
I moved more of the stitches from the plastic up onto the needle.


This was my last row before casting off.
After casting off I used the extra yarn to sew up
where the circle wasn't complete and wove it through
the back side of the entire circle to give it extra strength
so it wasn't so floppy.
Now onto the eyes!


Knit Frog Eyes:
Cast On 5 stitches
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: First stitch (increase) kfb
(knit front and back - after knitting the first stitch, before pushing off,
insert the needle into the back of the same stitch and knit again),
knit to the end of the row
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Knit to the last stitch, (last stitch increase) kfb
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: First stitch (increase) kfb,
knit to the end of the row
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: Knit
Row 9: Knit
Row 10: Knit cast off
Leave a long tail to attach to the knit circle
Knit a second eye for your froggy.

I decided where I wanted to place one eye,
sewing it into place with the long tail cast off.
To ensure that the second eye is placed in the same location,
fold the circle in half, placing the second eye in the corresponding
location and sew into place.
I took two simple black buttons and sewed them on
with black embroidery floss.

Now the frog is complete!
Your frog is ready to help 
grab babies attention during your next photo shoot!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment