Saturday, December 13, 2014

DIY Chapstick - Burt's Bees Copycat

Nothing like a little evening crafting! I've been wanting to make my own chapstick for awhile now. Ever since I took a class about it last year, to get over my uneasiness of trying something completely new by myself. You can find my previous blog post about it here.

I recently bought the final missing ingredients needed to make chapstick. 

Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Almond Oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Beeswax
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Shea Butter
- 1/4 tsp peppermint oil
You will also need 12-13 chapstick tubes.

I have been saving my chapstick containers
(either once the chapstick was done or chapstick I hated).
Hi, my name is Nadia, and I am a chapstick snob!
I stuck the tubes (twisted all the way down, so not to make a mess)
in the microwave and zapped for 1-2 minutes to liquefy all remaining chapstick.
Once it was liquid I poured it all into a spare can and tossed it.

Here all all of my empty containers waiting for new chapstick.


The next step is to melt all ingredients, except for the peppermint oil, in a double boiler. I used a makeshift double boiler because I didn't want to clean beeswax out of my good one. I was so busy melting my ingredients that I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of my "double boiler".  I used a medium tin can and an old saucepan.

Once the liquid has good a bit (but hasn't solidified)
add in the peppermint oil and pour into the empty tubes.
If it solidifies in the process, just reheat.

Once your chapstick has solidified you can recap the tubes
and wipe off the excess. I didn't want to waste any so what
I cleaned off I added back into the tubes that weren't completely full.


I can't wait to use my new chapstick!
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment