Saturday, October 25, 2014

Star Light, Star Bright

 This knitted star or snowflake (depending on your interpretation) is part of a larger project I'm working on for a dear friend. You can find the pattern for this star/snowflake here. I also think in the right colors this would make a cute sea star. I love the color variegated yarn with most of my projects. If you've visited my blog before I'm sure you're aware! I especially love it for this star because no two stars in the sky are the same and with variegated yarn the knitted stars won't be either!

I have to say that I'm quite proud of this star. Mainly because it is the first time I have successfully used double pointed knitting needles. Thank you to my mother-in-law for her help with that! On a side note, I LOVE having common interests with my mother-in-law and am eternally grateful for our wonderful relationship!

Here is the start of the body of the star.
I apologize for not taking any further pictures of the body portion!



The points of the star were what I found confusing and thought how helpful it would be to have pictures to go along with it. So I made sure to take pictures of each row as I went along. I hope you find them helpful in knitting your own star!


Here are four completed points out of six
(the stitches on each double pointed needle makes two points).

Pre-row 1 - This row is done before row 1  to prepare the start of the point.

The preparation of the pre-row divided the stitches onto two double pointed needles.

Row 1 - The first point will be worked with the right needle (worked back and forth).

Row 2 - My S2, K1, PSSO and SSK tutorials will come later down the line.

Row 3 - To be honest I couldn't figure out how to P2 Tog TBL
(normally I would google a knitting technique I'm unfamiliar with but I wasn't home)
so I just P2 Tog. Personally I don't see a difference in the pattern.

Row 4 - K3Tog and SSSK are done in the same fashion as K2Tog and SSK,
except with 3 stitches instead of  2.

Row 5 - Simply purl

Row 6

Row 7

Row 8

All that's left is to weave in the ends and steam iron it flat!

Moving on to new stars...
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment