Thursday, November 14, 2013

Darn Socks

Tired of throwing out perfectly good socks because of one small hole? So is my husband lol! This is one of the ways he has changed me for the better (hopefully most agree). Before my husband's influence these socks would have been tossed in the trash without a second thought. It would have been a great excuse to go shopping.

 I tried this early in our marriage and if I'm not careful the socks will walk themselves out of the trash. I've learned that if the hole is small enough to sew or patch it and if the hole is big enough I wait to throw it out on trash day after my husband has left for work! 

The holey socks.

These socks sent me searching the internet about how to properly darn socks. Which made me discover this amazing thing called a darning egg. A darning egg is placed inside the sock you are fixing. It allows you to give more of a proper shape to the sock, as well as to ensure you don't sew the front and back of the sock together. I'm adding a darning egg to my Christmas wish list. I'm sure it will come in very handy in the future of darning my husband's socks.


Until I get a true darning egg I'm using a plastic Easter egg.
It was just laying around the house and it worked!

Pinch the sock together a bit...

and insert of needle on the farthest side of the hole.

Sewing back and forth pulling tight to close the hole.

It doesn't look perfect but not bad for my first sock!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment